Kiarra Lucas

It’s the start of a new academic year at Champlain College, and with it comes fresh beginnings for some. But for others like Kiarra Lucas ’27, a second-year undeclared student in the Division of Communication & Creative Media from Washington, DC, it marks the continuation of her grand plans to go above and beyond at Champlain College. Growing up in the bustling northeast area of DC, Lucas was drawn to Champlain in Burlington, and undeterred by the distance between the two cities.

“What drew me to Champlain the most was the Upside-Down Curriculum. I think because I like doing things hands-on, and I like seeing my future, I like working in the present moment. So it was cool to visit a school that had the opportunity to get behind the camera, get writing, and start working within the community.”

Lucas attended Admitted Student Day (ASD) and was immediately allured by the Upside-Down Curriculum, which gives students the opportunity to begin working with their chosen major very early on in their college careers—as early as the first semester. For undeclared students, this means getting to experience bits and pieces of all the majors they’re considering. “ASD also gave me insight on what the classes and the school would be like. It made me really want to go here because they did a demonstration on what a Core class is like. I saw how they were very conversational, very hands on,” she says, adding that ASD was also where she met one of her best friends at Champlain.

She attributes part of her personal growth to Champlain’s continuous efforts to get students to interact with one another, as well as the Burlington community. “For a video storytelling class I took, I had to go out and talk to people and ask to record them. I’d say ‘Hey, I have this class, and I need to record this.’ I think my interpersonal skills grew a lot from being here as well, and I was able to get a job on campus.”

Burlington, considered a cultural hub of art and music by many, fits right into the media and filmmaking scene at Champlain College. “I’m pretty sure I’m not the only Champlain student coming around with a video camera,” Lucas laughs. “It’s exciting because businesses want to participate, like the Radio Bean, for example. They were like ‘Come on in!’”

It’s this collaborative spirit and genuine support from the community that makes Champlain a place where students like Lucas can feel comfortable trying new things and learning by doing. “I’ve definitely grown and the teachers are so good at giving feedback so you can apply it,” she says, noting that she has been able to improve by working closely alongside her peers and professors. Learning how to operate computer programs such as the Adobe suite, and working with them early on has proven to be beneficial in improving her confidence. “Being able to work hands-on has just allowed a lot more exponential growth for me,” she says.

Compared to the busy life and metropolitan sprawl of DC, Lucas enjoys having things close by. But—as anyone who has spent time living in a major city will tell you—there’s a special place in her heart for accessible public transportation. Lucas values the time she’s able to spend unwinding and chatting with good friends (including the one she met at ASD) as they commute with ease to South Burlington’s University Mall on the free Green Mountain Transit bus. For an ambitious and active learner like Lucas, it’s important to remember to take time for herself every now and then.

“I think I was just excited that a school gave me the chance to prove myself. For me, I need someone to tell me ‘This is going to help you.’ I don’t like doing empty work, I value my time. So to see these classes and people, as well as myself, producing all these amazing things, it pushes me and I feel like there’s nothing but room to grow.”

Haiva Askari ‘26
Professional Writing major

More Inside The View